Tuesday 2 August 2011

My working weeks at Tatton

Heather preparing the dolls' house for the new exhibition
The very first day of my work experience, and I think what they say about first impressions is definitely true. It was a blur of hard work, fun and lots and lots of experience.

To begin with, I was introduced to the farm team, which quickly brings me to what I noticed the most about Tatton Park; its staff. Every member of staff I’ve had the pleasure of working with here have been as kind and helpful as can be, and have made my time here even more memorable and enjoyable.

Anyway, on to the farm. I’ve been to the farm twice in my two weeks of work experience, both times in my first week, and both times were terrific. Amongst other jobs around the farm, I got a chance to lead in the Clydesdales, Finn and Blossom (although there was a slightly hairy moment when a hornet kept bothering Tabitha, who got a little worried), accompany the pigs indoors and outdoors (and got a chance to see Tallulah’s new piglets!), bring in the new reindeer and the cows, and groom the donkeys, as well as more cleaning. The biggest job on our first day was bringing in the lambs, marking the ones over 35kg for the future (we all know what happens on a farm).

Another area of Tatton I got to work in was with the rangers, which again I did twice. On Wednesday, I got to help out with an Education trip, which basically involved taking a school group out in the park in a trailer, and letting them try out some wildlife-based activities; Mini beast hunting in the Millennium Wood, and Pond dipping. I also got to see some pricket skulls and stag skulls from red deer and fallow deer, and drive around the park looking at the rare breeds of sheep they have at Tatton.

On Friday, I spent most of the time driving a buggy, emptying the bins and picking up litter around the car park and eating areas (it was a lot more fun than it sounds...no really, it was). I also got to collect some grasses from the private fields in Tatton for the Rangers Exhibition.

The other thing I got to do on week one was to try my hand at Education. I spent the day at the farm, dressed as a WWII farm girl, helping out with the various activities. I got to spend time at each of the four bases; learning about life at home in WWII with Aunt Mary, playing old games with Etta, cleaning leather and ‘milking cows’ with Bob, and feeding the goats and chickens with Evan.

My second try at Education came in week two, when I spent the day at the Old Hall, again dressed up, but this time as a Tudor. I also got a title: Mistress Heather. I did completely different things this time, getting to watch the school group try out Tudor cooking, archery, jousting, and learning about weaponry and armour throughout history. I was also lucky enough to watch a falconry display, which featured a number of birds, including a bald eagle, a vulture and a falcon.

The remaining three days I spent in the mansion, doing various tasks. On Wednesday, I was in the Ethnographic store, photographing and recording the old and often valuable artefacts kept in there. Amongst other things, I came across an elephant skull, and a tusk that was unbelievably huge. I also got to take a tour around the mansion, witnessing all of its splendour, and preparing a dolls house for children in the Architectural exhibition that was about to open.

On Thursday, I got to hoover the carpet that I walked along on the tour, and having the pleasure of seeing the mansion in a different light (a.k.a. a lot less light). Although, I didn’t spend all that much time in the mansion on that day, instead going into Knutsford to find frames for some architectural pictures that needed to be hung in the mansion.

Finally, I spent my last day in an office with another work experience girl, making a new staff library. This basically meant that we spent the day glue-sticking library cards and various other items into the library books.

All in all, I think my time at Tatton have been two weeks to remember, and I would recommend anyone to come here, purely for the diversity of the activities you’ll be doing, and the excellent company you’ll have whilst doing it.

Thank you Tatton Park!

Heather Dowling

No comments:

Post a Comment